Thursday, October 15, 2015

a chair in the sky

This morning, you could say, started out like any other.  Up and at 'em to get teeth brushed, utilize the bathroom and apply a scant cloud of makeup and blush, paint on mascara (thickened, I might have tried to suggest for its alluring appeal, but alas, my "seductive" application was due merely to negligence of washing my face the night before), fumbling to dress in the dark, and quick kisses to those awakening (Mike) before I embark on my day.  Also routine in my daily wake-ups lately, the internal groan of even rousing out of our delicious bed, after what can only be labeled as a "pathetic" rest.  My innate habits precede me, so not all of my poor sleeps should be blamed on the children coughing, kicking of the crib slats as they roll about, Mike's snoring, or Winnie's whimpering dreams from the floor below.  However, very differently today (and not an outcome for which I blame in the least), my less-than-desired amount of steady sleep was result of my excitement to make a three-year-awaited return to Tennessee to visit my older sister in Chattanooga.


I sit here in the middle of the airport food court, trying desperately to negotiate my way to the inevitable cuisine of a good burger and fries after 10 am.  Pretty sure it was the film 'Love Actually' that describes the kind of scene at the airport arrivals gate with love present all around.  I'm finding fortunately, it seeps into our departure gates, too.  And in the common areas.  And on the shuttle bus between terminals.  Among us patrons or staff or crew, you can observe the pleasantries that truly connect us, and which assist us in these journeys that can otherwise account to be stressful and overwhelming.


Undoubtedly, there are children screaming and wrestling about; passengers sprinting past, perhaps bumping others to get to the next gate; a cacophony of participants lugging their body weight and more through the women's bathroom line (oh yes, the women's bathroom - until they make more sense of it in offering a 2:1 ratio or increased family restrooms, we females bear the load).  But there is also the mother reading a book to her child at the table next to me, so as to keep him more calm as he devours a bagel and banana.  There is a group of women nearby, laughing like sisters about the predictability in how many bags they packed for a weekend trip.  There are the countless TSA and other airport workers, breaking from their duties to enjoy a needed break.  All experiences observed richly in diverse languages, and in various exchange of greetings.  This moment (be it my opportunity in a relaxed state of mind with a lengthier layover), this is how I view a wonderful world this morning.


Coming off of my first flight completing the introduction to Eknath Easwaran's translation of the Bhagavad Gita, I certainly find myself in contemplation and trust of that which surrounds me.  (See above.)  Unto myself, this view is my truth this morning.  And not just of what I perceive externally, but of who I am.  That 'innate-ness' which resonates within me.  Tomorrow, or maybe even later this afternoon, my energy may carry a different tune.  I'm learning that what makes us human is the accessibility to experiencing ranges, and slowly I am coming to terms with accepting but also thriving within this concept.  As nature shifts her seasons, so do we in the ways we handle ourselves, both to the self and unto others.


Be kind this morning.  And not just this morning, but starting there.  If you find it difficult to access, take notice and perhaps return to it when you can.  We all need at certain times a space in which first to breathe freely, before offering to someone else.  But, I believe in you.  I believe in your capacity to be kind.


Om shanti, namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment